I used to think this was a frivolous lawsuit, but once I read about the specifics regarding this case, I began to reconsider my take on it. Although I do side mostly with McDonalds on this case – it’s not quite as cut-&-dry as it was reported in the media.
Variables worth considering…
- Over 700 complaints had been made about the extra hot temperature
- Coffee was 30′ hotter than nearby restaurants. Hotter than most home coffee brewers.
- This poor woman suffered 3rd degree burns on her genitals.
- All she wanted for was for McD’s to pay her medical bills.
- The 3 million dollars was a suggestion of one of the jurors and NOT the plaintiff’s idea.
Ultimately it’s reported the plaintiff collected about $ 500,000.00 – but no one will ever know for sure because the decision is sealed.
A brief summary
The original HBO documentary in its entirety- HOT COFFEE. .
The full-feature documentary “McLibel”